Description: CHIEF WASTEWATER TREATMENT PLANT OPERATOR DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: This is important technical and supervisory work involving responsibility for the planning, operation and maintenance of a municipal Wastewater Treatment Plant, with facilities for chemical precipitation, sludge digestion, sludge de-watering, ultimate sludge disposal, activated sludge, stabilization or oxidation process or any other biological oxidation process. The incumbent is in responsible charge of the complete and actual operation of the wastewater treatment plant. Dependent upon locations, general direction is received from the Director of Utilities, Superintendent of Public Works or other municipal official, through conference and review of plans. Considerable leeway is allowed for the use of independent judgment in carrying projects into operation. Supervision is exercised over a small number of employees involved in the operation and maintenance of the wastewater treatment plant. Does related work as required.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES: (Illustrative only)
• Supervises and maintains the operation of wastewater treatment systems in accordance with state and federal standards;
• Supervises and participates in the installation, operation, maintenance and repair of various wastewater treatment machinery and equipment;
• Supervises and participates in testing, analysis and reporting requirements for control of the wastewater plant operations;
• Supervises and assists in maintaining operational and management records required by state and federal agencies, including the New York State Dept. of Environmental Conservation;
• Supervises the treatment and disposal of sludge;
• Makes recommendations to supervisor and prepares plans for repairs, modifications and future considerations and extensions of the wastewater system;
• Coordinates plant operators’ shifts and instructs them in duties;
• Performs training of departmental staff assigned to assist with wastewater treatment;
• Maintains records of activities and prepares reports;
• Assists in formulating policy and procedure for plant operation, in accordance with state and federal regulations;
• Maintains inventory levels of chemicals, replacement parts and related wastewater supplies;
• Conducts performance evaluations on staff assigned to the wastewater treatment plant and makes recommendations regarding salary adjustments, promotions and disciplinary issues;
• Assesses plant efficiency to determine material and employee resources required for plant operation and to develop annual plant budget;
• Assists in negotiations as needed, to provide information upon union request;
• Operates truck, tractor, backhoe and other types of motor equipment.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
Thorough knowledge of the practices used and the equipment required in the operation and maintenance of a Wastewater Treatment Plant, with facilities for chemical precipitation, sludge digestion, sludge de-watering, ultimate sludge disposal, activated sludge, stabilization or oxidation process or any other biological process; good knowledge of the principles and application of physics, chemistry and bacteriology as applied to wastewater treatment and disposal; skill in the operation and repair of pumps, valves and related mechanical and electrical equipment; ability to plan and supervise the work of others; ability to understand and carry out oral and written directions; ability to draw up and work from plans, specifications and sketches; ability to train others in the maintenance of a municipal wastewater system; ability to operate a motor vehicle; analytical ability; mechanical aptitude; physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma and eligibility for an appropriate Plant Operator’s certificate issued under the provisions of Part 650 of the New York State Code of Rules and Regulations. Possession of the certificate is required at time of appointment and continuously during employment. Qualifications for certification vary according to the Grade of Wastewater Treatment Plant, as determined by the New York State Dept. of Environmental Conservation (DEC) AND EITHER:
a) Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university with an Associates degree in Civil Engineering Technology or related field of study and one (1) year of full-time experience or its part-time equivalent in the operation of a wastewater treatment plant, which must have been in a supervisory capacity; OR
b) Three (3) years of full-time experience or its part-time equivalent in the operation of a wastewater treatment plant, one of which must have been in a supervisory capacity.
Candidates must be permanently employed in the competitive class (or allocated to non-competitive class in accordance with section 55A of Civil Service Law) in the Village or Town and must have served continuously on a permanent basis for twelve (12) months immediately preceding the date of the written test as Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator AND eligibility for an appropriate Plant Operator’s certificate issued under the provisions of Part 650 of the New York State Code of Rules and Regulations. Possession of the certificate is required at time appointment and continuously during employment. Qualifications for certification vary according to the Grade of Wastewater Treatment Plant, as determined by the New York State Dept. of Environmental Conservation (DEC).
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT: Possession of an appropriate level commercial driver’s license at time of appointment and continuously during employment to perform essential duties occurring during the normal course of work.
Local Wastewater Treatment Plant Grading as of August 2016 Town of Owego-IIIA; (Apalachin-IVA)