Description: The City of Beacon is looking for a qualified individual to fill a Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator vacancy. The position is a Civil Service position as well a position that is covered under the CSEA bargaining unit. Starting pay is $27.67. Interested applicants can send their resume to David Tavernier at email@example.com or call 845-831-7130 for additional information.
Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma and possession of a Wastewater Treatment Plant Certification- Grade 2A issued under the provision of the NYS DEC Regulations (Part 650).
JOB DUTIES INCLUDE:
• Start and stop pumps, air compressors and related machinery and equipment
• Make repairs to machinery and equipment
• Record readings for meters and gauges
• Treat and dispose of sludge
• Add chlorine to wastewater
• Take samples for testing
• Keep logs and records
• Related work as required
Knowledge of the practices used and the equipment required in the operation and maintenance of a Type A plant required. Please see attached job description for more details.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS:
This is routine but important work involving responsibility during a shift for the efficient operation and maintenance of a Type "A" Wastewater Treatment Plant with facilities for the activated sludge process (including all modifications). The work is performed under the general supervision of a higher level operator or the incumbent may work under the direction of a municipal board or outside contractor. Supervision may be exercised over subordinate employees in the performance of their assigned duties.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES:
1. Starts and stops pumps, motors, air compressors and related machinery and equipment;
2. Makes major and minor repairs to machinery and equipment;
3. Records readings from meters and gauges;
4. Treats and disposes of sludge;
5. Adds chlorine to wastewater;
6. Takes samples of wastewater for testing;
7. Makes necessary tests for control of plant operation;
8. Assists in the instruction of trainees;
9. Supervises the work of laborers and other subordinate employees;
10. Keeps a log of plant operations and related records;
11. Performs custodial duties in connection with maintenance of buildings and grounds;
12. May make reports on operations to supervisor or overseeing municipal commission;
13. Does related work as required.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
Knowledge of the practices used and the equipment required in the operation and maintenance of a Type "A" Wastewater Treatment Plant with facilities for the activated sludge process (including all modifications); Knowledge of the principles and applications of physics, chemistry and bacteriology as applied to wastewater treatment and disposal; Skill in the operation and repair of pumps, valves, and related mechanical and electrical equipment; Ability to read, understand and record data from gauges, scales and meters; Ability to make routine laboratory and field tests for control of plant operation; Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions; Personal characteristics necessary to perform the duties of the position; Physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.