The City of Peekskill, located in Westchester County, is seeking a full-time Water Treatment Plant Operator. Please see the attached job description for a complete list of duties and responsibilities.
In order to be considered, candidates must have taken the Civil Service examination for this position and be eligible for appointment from the resulting Civil Service Certified List. For details on taking the Civil service Examination for this position please contact Westchester County Department of Human Resources at (914) 995-2117. Interested individuals must submit a copy of a current Grade II-A certificate issued under the provisions of the New York State Sanitary Code and a completed City of Peekskill Employment Application. Employment Applications can be obtained from the Human Resources Office or the City’s website www.cityofpeekskill.com (Human Resources Department).
JOB SUMMARY (As adopted by the Westchester County Human Resources Department) Under general supervision and dependent on facility, is responsible during an assigned shift for the actual operation of a Type IA or IIA Water Treatment Plant, This is routine but important work involving responsibility during a shift for the efficient operation and maintenance of a water treatment plant with facilities for filtration with pretreatment or a chemical softening process. In accordance with sanitary codes issued by the New York State Department of Health, the IIA operator functions as the assistant operator in either a IA or IIA facility, as assigned. The work is performed under general supervision of a chief operator qualified to be in charge of the operation of the plant. Supervision may be exercised over subordinate employees in the performance of their assigned duties. Does related work as required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• Operates pumps, valves, motors, and related machinery and equipment;
• Performs maintenance work and makes minor repairs to machinery and equipment;
• Records readings of meters, gauges and scales;
• Regulates and adjusts chemical feed pumps;
• Cleans filtration equipment and settling basins, if existing;
• Takes samples of water for testing;
• Performs necessary tests for control of plant operation; Assists in the instruction of trainees;
• May supervise the work of laborers and other subordinate employees;
• Keeps a daily log of plant operations and related records;
• Performs custodial duties in connection with maintenance of buildings and grounds;
• May utilize a computerized SCADA (Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition) system to monitor and operate plants, booster stations and storage and distribution facilities.
• Adaptability/Flexibility: Job requires being open to change (positive or negative) and to considerable variety in the workplace.
• Dependability: Job requires being reliable, responsible, and dependable, and fulfilling obligations.
• Attention to Detail: Job requires being careful about detail and thorough in completing work tasks.
• Integrity: Job requires being honest and ethical.
• Independence: Job requires developing one's own ways of doing things, guiding oneself with little or no supervision, and depending on oneself to get things done.
• Stress Tolerance: Job requires accepting criticism and dealing calmly and effectively with high stress situations.
• Initiative: Job requires a willingness to take on responsibilities and challenges.
• Analytical Thinking: Job requires analyzing information and using logic to address work-related issues and problems.
• Cooperation: Job requires being pleasant with others on the job and displaying a good-natured, cooperative attitude.
• Self-Control: Job requires maintaining composure, keeping emotions in check, controlling anger, and avoiding aggressive behavior, even in very difficult situations.
• Persistence: Job requires persistence in the face of obstacles.
• Concern for Others: Job requires being sensitive to others' needs and feelings and being understanding and helpful on the job.
• Leadership: Job requires a willingness to lead, take charge, and offer opinions and direction.
• Innovation: Job requires creativity and alternative thinking to develop new ideas for and answers to work-related problems.
• Achievement/Effort: Job requires establishing and maintaining personally challenging achievement goals and exerting effort toward mastering tasks.
• Social Orientation: Job requires preferring to work with others rather than alone, and being personally connected with others on the job.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (As adopted by the Westchester County Human Resources Department)
Possession of a current Grade II-A certificate issued under the provisions of the New York State Sanitary Code.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, use hands to finger or grasp, reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk.
The physical requirements of this position also require the ability to exert up to 10 pounds of force occasionally, and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or regularly to move objects.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is not subject to substantial exposure to adverse environmental conditions. Work schedule includes day, evening, midnight, weekend, and holiday shifts; subject to call-out or call-back at any time due to staff shortages or emergencies in order to facilitate and sustain plant operations
• All requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
• This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee holding this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties as required by the applicable Department Head/supervisor and/or City Manager.
• This job description is intended for the internal use by the City of Peekskill and does not replace the job specification that has been adopted by the Westchester County Human Resources Department.
• This job description does not create a contract of employment, express or implied.